Friday, May 7, 2010

 Monster Momo

He proved me wrong…
Momo turned two!
Congratulations big guy… you defy death or serious bodily harm daily, but you made it… let's go big and shoot for two more!

We celebrated with a little last minute party.  Two is a challenging age for a birthday party.  He doesn't have his own friends (can you imagine a house filled with two year olds… undiluted chaos)?  Our family on both sides has bred stupendously, and all but one family lives locally.  My house would be filled with over 45 people…  love them all but I was not in a hosting mood.  So we chose to have just Grandma's and Grandpa's join us.

Now I honestly tossed this together the day before (which was filled with soccer games and other must do's).  So it's not as elaborate as other parties I've given.  In fact it was simple. 
Momo has to sleep with one of his "monsters" (ugly dolls). He tends to carry one of them around all day as well.  Sippy cup in one hand, monster in the other, and recently I've been leaving him in his jammies all day… he just destroys his clothes.  Yeah, I know… mother of the year award Rrriiiiightt Hheeerrrre (imagine a red blinking arrow, with an annoying buzz that turns on and off with every blink pointed at me right now.  Like the visual)?   We have a small collection of ugly dolls because I used to work, one day a week, and we stocked them there… they worked great as stocking stuffers, easter basket fillers etc… So yeah, we've got a bunch.
Anyway he's slightly obsessed with them.  It was clear that his little party should be "Monster" themed.  
I wanted to make LOADS of these little cuties.  But time was sparse, so I only finished three.  I got the idea from Not Just a Mommy she made these little owls that are beyond darling.  She gives a little tutorial and everything.  I took the basic idea and changed them from owls to monsters.  Then I hung them (with fishing line) from the light above the kitchen table.
Then for dessert I created these 
"Build your own monster" 
cupcakes.  Think Mr. Potato head, but edible, and with a cupcake, not potatoes;)
I made monster parts from Wilton candy chips
I drew the monster body parts on paper then placed the paper on a cookie sheet.  Take wax paper and put it on top of your drawing.  
Melt chips in a baggie or disposable pastry bag in the microwave. Clip the tip or corner of the bag.
Trace your drawings with the melted chocolate onto the wax paper.  Follow the outline first and then fill it in. Then outline again with the dark chocolate.  Tap the cookie sheet against the counter to even out the chocolate. Let it cool. Peal off of the wax paper. Voila. I did the same thing for my cat in the hat cupcakes.
Eyes
Arms
Tentacles
Fangs, Ears and Wings
Horns and Noses
I wanted to make little signs to label what monster body parts each plater had… again no time.
Here are a few of the Monster results…
(Sorry they're a bit blurry)
Seriously they turned out so stinkin' adorable

K… so someone could take these ideas and really run with them.   If anyone does a monster party and uses either of these ideas let me know… I'd love to see what you add to it! 
Ohhh,
one more thing.
I add an easy mousse filling to my cupcakes.  I just put the mousse in a pastry bag (a zip lock baggie clipped at the corner would work) and then shove it into the cupcake and fill it up (like a ding dong).  Yum.  Just don't go too crazy or your cupcake will split.  Here's the recipe I use…
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 cup Milk
1 Large Package Jello Pudding
Blend with mixer until thick.
Linked up to
Sundae Scoop
Tatertots and Jello
Sunday Showcase
Today's Creative Blog
These Creative Juices
Favorite Things Friday
Hoosier Homemade


I'm adding the buttercream frosting I use here, so you don't have to bother with the comment section...
2 cups solid white vegetable shortening
1 1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring
*1/2 tsp butter flavoring
4 Tbsp milk (or water)
2 Lbs. confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)(approx.8 cups)
2 Tbsp meringue powder (dried egg white)
a pinch of salt.

This is a stiff consistency. Add more milk or water until you get it to where you want it. 

*I use wilton butter flavoring.  This is optional, you could simply uses 2 tsp vanilla. Or sometimes I use a little almond. Or I go all out and use 1 tsp vanilla 1/2 tsp butter flavoring 1/2 tsp almond. 
And the "fur" is made with Wilton tip 233
Hope that makes it easier!

47 comments:

  1. This is without a doubt the most darling party idea I have seen in a long time! Those hanging monsters. And the cupcakes. I just can't get over the wow factor here!

    You have a delighted new follower on your hands. :)

    Thanks so much for popping in to comment on my tiered planter this week. I really appreciate it!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun are those cupcakes?? Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea for the cupcakes! I've gotta save this idea for later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. UR Awesome. :) How did you do the frosting on the cupcakes? Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kayleen I used Wilton tip 233:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anji,
    I miss all your creativeness in young womens! I miss you and your cute family. Milo is the cutest little thing!

    love,

    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anj... WOW! This party is darling!! I am bookmarking this one for sure. My son's second birthday party now has a theme! (It's only 9 months away...) CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE it! I totally want to convince one of my boys to do it for a party! Those cupcakes are just a BRILLIANT idea. Maybe for a Halloween party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just as i let out a HUGE 'sigh' of relief that i have no more kids parties -till next jan- all 3 done by april {!!}...you go and spring this on me! i adddore those little mr.moster heads- mr .ph is BIG in our house - so am going to make them for a little half term celebration anyway...i can't resist...
    can you just tell me 'how you did' the icing again- what is a wilton tip -for us aussies??
    happy birthday big boy mo-mo...and anj you did it- you got him there!
    melissa x
    ps- he's super cute isnt he!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Wilton tip is a pastry bag tip. Wilton is a popular pastry decorating brand in the states. They have a (website wilton.com) and here is the link that takes you straight to the tip I used. http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30DD64-475A-BAC0-5FBA791BBD7A052B&fid=3E3324C3-475A-BAC0-5DF027EB4874EBF7
    When you use this tip to get the "fur" look put pressure on the bag and slowly lift the tip away from the cake and release pressure at the same time. (Ashlee should be the one explaining this... she's the cake genius). I hope that makes sense.
    Here is the buttercream recipe I use for decorating...

    2 cups solid white vegetable shortening
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring
    1/2 tsp butter flavoring
    4 Tbsp milk (or water)
    2 Lbs. confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)(approx.8 cups)
    2 Tbsp meringue powder (dried egg white)
    a pinch of salt.

    This is a stiff consistency. Add more milk or water until you get it to where you want it.
    Let me know if I can help with anything else;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just dropping by from I Heart Naptime. Fantastic idea!!! Love all the little legs and eyes and so on to create masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    Just came over from Tatertots and Jello...love this party. My girls are long past this stage and in college, but I just love the colors and the inspiration. I will definitely pass this on to my sister in law who has 3 small boys. Happy Birthday to your son!
    Take care,
    ~Karen~

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! Your monsters are freaking cute! I absolutely heart how you made the felt monsters...I can't believe how my owls inspired them. I must share with my readers...

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is like the cutest thing ever!@!!! I Love this sooooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this!

    Had to laugh out loud and re-read the filling for the cupcake...I thought it was some cool new filler until I realzied you meant mousse (instead of moose)!!!

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL!!! Oh Chriss thank you for the heads up! I knew something was wrong, and I was going to fix it. But then my photo's were not loading and by the time they finally did I was so frustrated I just pushed publish before proof reading. That'll learn me!:)
    Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think this is the cutest thing I have ever seen!!! I LOVE how fun colorful and creative everything is! What a lucky boy! Looks like so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. ok-I wish that we were neighbors so your fantasticness would rub off on me!!
    These ideas are fabulous-magazine worthy really!!
    Awesome JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these cupcakes! You have a new follower- great ideas and I love your spiritual thoughts too. Thanks for sharing a piece of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous party! I love all the details - incredible! The little monster balls are darling! The build your own monster is adorable! Great job! Thanks so much for stopping by and joining the Sunay Showcase Party. I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anj! Just wanted to let you know I'll be featuring your party today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  22. This party is like....well...delicious, and awesome, and creative, and inspiring me to try frosting hair! I'm just so impressed!! And then I thought, "self, if this post is awesome, maybe the other ones are too." And sure enough. They are. This is going on my list of favorites! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I my freaking heck!!! I seriously adore this party!! My friend wanted to do a monster party for her son... so I will pass this onto her. I think the little monster balls are sooo cute and the cupcakes are the best idea EVER!! Great job! You win!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I win!?! Hot dang, I'm on a roll!;)
    Thank you so much everyone! You are all rock stars!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE pretty much EVERYTHING about this post. I love fun new ideas for bday parties. I really LOVE the build your own monster cupcake. What a great idea.

    Now I have to go through the rest of your blog and see all the fabulousness that has happened before I found your blog.

    Oh I came over from creative juices. I linked up there too. Would love for you to stop by my blog too.

    Again, LOVE the cupcakes and deco.

    Larissa
    Just Another Day in Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, you did an amazing job. Love the cupcake idea!

    ReplyDelete
  27. SO ADORABLE! Would love to feature this tomorrow! Stop by and check it out and grab a featured button if you would like! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea for a birthday party. In fact I loved it so much I posted it up on my own blog: http://onmysideoftheroom.blogspot.com/2010/05/monster-party.html

    Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Anj from Anji!

    I just hopped over to you from somewhere... I love these monster party ideas! The cupcakes are too cute and I love treats which guests can 'participate' in. As soon as I saw those felt monsters, I immediately thought, they could be made around a bouncy (tennis?) ball so they bounce too! I might just have to try it out later...

    Loving your blog, and it's so cool to see someone with the same name as me?!

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! That party is amazing! My 4 year old did a halloween monster party (with the same cute monster decore from Target), we even bought out their clearance section and re-did the boy's bathroom in a monster theme!

    So you can imagine how excited we are to make those little styrofoam monsters...today actually! I saw this on Positively Splendid yesterday and my little guy has been excited to make them ever since!

    Thank you for taking the time to post pictures and links so that we can make them too!

    I'll post on our blog when we've finished ours and link back to you.


    www.brandyscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. stinking cute!!!! I wish i had saw your post before I did my cupcake post but you have so many followers it's fine.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my heck. You are right - they are stinkin' adorable!!!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi - LOVE this! I found (& now following) you from "A girl & a glue gun"... These are so cute, I may borrow this and apply to "build your own fairy" cupcakes instead. You have a beautuful blog, I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Super cute! I'm wishing my teenagers were little again! :-)I'd love for you to share these on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my goodness you are so talented! I love the concept and the look, wow! Very cute! I just used tip 233 yesterday for my cupcakes and I can't get the frosting to stand up, thanks for sharing your frosting recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are so FANTASTIC!!! Not only are the monster cupcakes completely ADORABLE, but this method is so great to store away in my cupcake arsenal for making all kinds of future baking projects. Brilliant!!!

    I found you at Hoosier Homemade's Cupcake Tuesday... I'm so glad I did!

    Blessings
    Rachymommy - MommyTopics.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm so glad you had a minute to link up! Thanks so much!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  38. OMG! You are just one amazing idea after another! I have to do this one day!!! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  39. http://brandyscrafts.blogspot.com/2010/05/felt-creations.html

    Anj, my kids and I made these a couple of weeks ago and I finally posted them to my blog :) Thanks for the inspiration! Aaron LOVES his little monster!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a fabulous idea! I love love love it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. As a mom of 2 little boys (one wit ha birthday coming up) this idea has made my day! I always find so many cute princess/sparkle/flower cupcake ideas but can't use them! DIY Monster Guys....LOVE IT SO MUCH! Thanks a bundle :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love anything to do with monsters!!! These are great! Love the cupcakes! Its a bummer too, because both of my boys JUST had their birthdays...I will definitely think of this next year...

    ReplyDelete
  43. those are totally awesome what a great idea for a party what a great mom your are :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I loved your insipration! I just wanted to let you know we had a monster party last week and used your adorable cupcake idea!

    Our monster party!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I forgot to tell you a few months ago that I made your monster cupcakes for my son's birthday:

    http://calderwood.blogspot.com/2011/01/why-am-i-always-so-far-behind.html

    Okay, not as cute as yours but I'm learning!

    ReplyDelete
  46. these are crazy awesome! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  47. So fantastic! I love it all... the create your own monster cupcake - total genius!

    hugs! Kim @ Party Frosting!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like a giant blog tip jar. Not necessary, but they sure make me feel good. Thanks for your thoughts!